LA RED/A REDE
All of Latin America 2000-2006
We founded Shine a Light to network NGOs that worked with marginalized children in Latin America. From 2000-2006, we traveled every country in the region, meeting with more than 400 NGOs and bringing some 300 of them into a collaborative network. We also talked with thousands of street and woking kids, as well as academics, to develop a comprehensive theory of children and social change.
Social Impact - Key Project Data
- 79% of projects changed government policy in a progressive direction.
- 63% of participating youth became leaders in their community.
- 83% of participants became mentors to other kids.
- 38% of participants went on to higher education.
Other texts from the Project
- "Recomendaciones para un programa para niños de la calle en el Puerto de Veracruz, México" (Junio de 2002), por Mala Shah
- "La Globalización de la Exclusión: niños de la calle en los Estados Unidos" (Noviembre 2002)
- The Globalization of Exclusion (In English (translated by Margret McAed Satterwaite))
- "Edipo en la calle: la lógica de la exclusión de la infancia callejera" (Marzo 2003)
- Oedipus on the Street (Adapted English version)
- "El barrio marginal como recurso pedagógico" (Noviembre de 2003)
- The poor neighborhood as an educational Resource (in English (translated by Lorraine Elletson))
- "Los 'derechos' y la 'libertad': repensando una retórica hegemónica" (Noviembre 2003)
- "Rights and Freedom": rethinking a hegemonic discourse (in English (translated by Ewa Zyto))
- "La Voz de la sangre de tu hermano grita desde la tierra hasta mí": superando la lógica de sacrificio en la calle. (Agosto, 2006)
- "The voice of your brothers blood calls up to me from the earth": overcoming the logic of sacrifice on the street.
Project financed by Joan Malin.
Shine a Light has been successful because individual donors give us the freedom to experiment and test new ideas. Be a venture capitalist for social transformation!